Amputee Corner - ISPO SA “Africa Unite” Congress 2014
The recent ISPO SA “Africa Unite” Rehabilitation Congress was attended by a record number of 287 people. Diamond sponsors, Ossur, pulled out all the stops. DJO Global were the Gold Sponsors and Otto Bock the Silver Sponsors.
Delegates from 14 countries descended on Cape Town for the three-day event and two international exhibitors joined 28 South African companies to promote their products.
Discovery Health sponsored the CPD monitoring system and delegates had a busy programme of three parallel sessions to choose from.
ISPO World President, Bengt Söderberg, was the Guest of Honour.
The ISPO World Congress of 2017 will be held at the Cape Town ICC and ISPO SA Chairman Mike Barkley welcomed all the delegates and invited them to return for the international event in May 2017, when over 2400 delegates will place the rehabilitation spotlight firmly on Africa.
The fifth AGM of ISPO South Africa was held during the Congress and the Exco committee remains in place as they now start the third year of their three-year term of office. The 11 person Exco remains as follows:
- Chairman - Mike Barkley
- Vice chairman - Jacques Swanepoel
- Committee - Jan Brand, Johan Burger, Silas Gidzha, Riaan Knight, Tanya le Roux, Wayne le Grange, Brian McKibbin, Allan Oates & Stanford Slabbert
Sixty SAOPA members attended the recent AGM and the existing Executive committee was re-elected en-bloc for another term of office. Allan Oates stood down after five years at the helm and Tanya le Roux was elected as the new chairperson. Jacques Swanepoel was appointed as an additional vice chair to join Silas Gidzha as support to Tanya.
Paralympian superstar Ernst van Dyk was the guest speaker at the gala dinner and awards evening and he kept everyone riveted as he told his life story.
Another feature of the evening was the presentation of the annual SAOPA and ISPO SA awards, and 34 certificates were presented.
Special Awards were presented to the following stars:
- President of ISPO, Bengt Söderberg, and his wife, Helle, for their support & attendance.
- Mike Barkley – Chairmanship of ISPO SA and securing the ISPO World Congress bid for 2017
- The Westin Hotel – for being a superb venue with wonderful staff.
- Allan Oates – Five years Chairmanship of SAOPA – from 2009 to 2014.
- Ernst van Dyk – For Excellence in Disabled Sport & Marketing the O&P profession.